English Italiano

Midway situated between the adriatic coast and the Sibillini mountains, Grottazzolina is on the top of a moderately elevated hill (227 m.a.s.l.). It’s population is continuously growing thanks to artisan activities flourishing in a variety of fields, as well as the industrial expansion. A town, therefor, projected into the future though with a long history worthy to be known.
First human settlements in the territory, date back to the 8th century B.C. testified by relics found in archaeological excavations between the 1948 and 1953.
Many centuries later (about the middle of the 10th century) monks coming from Farfa, erected the castle named Montebello. It was the first nucleous around which the town should have grown.
Shortly after the castle passed under the domination of the Canonics of the Fermo Cathedral and was given the new name of Crypta (grot) Canonicorum.
In the year 1208, Ottone IV granted the territory of Marca d’Ancona to Azzo d’Este. After the death of Azzo d’Este, pope Onorio III allowed Azzo’s son Azzo VII (called Azzolino) to keep possession of the Marca d’Ancona. It was then that the castle was named Grottazzolina.
From the fourteenth century Grottazzolina is under the domain of the city of Fermo, ruled from the 12th century by a free, popular government in the state of “Santa Sede”.
The Grottazzolina castle from then on endured several occupations and plunderings. It was only after the 1465 that order was reestablished under Fermo senate.
Grottazzolina, fortified by Oliverotto Uffreducci “Signore” of Fermo, became a site for gun fusion.
In the year 1537, when Pier Luigi Farnese, by order of Pope Paul III, occupied the city of Fermo, imposed fine and deprived it of all rights, Grottazzolina was erected to free Commune after ten operose and paceful years, the town went again by order of the Pope, under the Fermo jurisdiction.
From the year 1600, Grottazzolina with other 47 castles, was ruled by Fermo through Podestà and Vicars.
After the Castelfidardo battle, and the victory of the piedmonteses the town entered the kingdom of Italy and, from decembre 1860 when king Vittorio Emanuele II, moved the province from Fermo to Ascoli Piceno, Grottazzolina became an autonomous commune.
The eminent personalities of some first citizens, such as the baritono Francesco Graziani (end of the eighteen hundred) and Vincenzo Monaldi, internationally renowned professor and first minister of health of the italian republic in the years sixties, testify the Grottazzolina political liveliness.
This is the history of our town. The present times see an important development of artisan activities as well as of small-middle enterprises. Here the capability of conciliatince old skilfulness with modern technology is to be found.
Above all Grottazzolina is a town to be visited, to be discovered and … rediscovered on its human, historical and cultural resources. The Azzolino castle, symbol of the civic proud, witnesses an historical liveliness of ancient origin.
The “Cozzana”, a very old part of the town, recently restored by the town hall administration, is at the eastern side of Piazza Umberto I. The building of the ex-hospital Benedetti, gives hospitality to civic organizations active in the cultural and social fields. In the “Ermete Novelli” theatre, a liberty style building with 250 seats, a prose season takes place every year with the performance of nationally known companies.
The town hall building, in romanic style with a medieval tone, has an interesting embattled clock tower, all built by a local cooperative society founded for the reconstruction afetr the first world war. The church of SS. Sacramento e Rosario (1768), has a classic styled facade and inside it is rich of frescos, paintings and sculptures.
The church of S. Giovanni Battista (1684) was built over a preexisting romanic temple. These are the treasures which make worthy and pleasant visiting our town.
A visit to know the riches of territory can well be an additional incentive to all those who, also this year, will partecipate in the “Marathon of Piceno”, one of the most important italian athletic meetings..